Tuesday, October 27, 2015

UPDATED: MV Leviathan II "Crashed"?

UPDATED:  October 28, 2015 It's quickly becoming the "official story".  Here is the Vancouver Sun, telling the same story about a "monster wave"...again without any direct quotes from passengers on the boat.  Perhaps it's true...but after all the lies...we need more eyewitness evidence...instead of just accepting whatever we're told by authorities.

The BBC and CBC are reporting that the Leviathan II capsized when all the passengers stood on one side and the boat was hit broadside by a large wave.  The fact that the BBC is reporting this means to me that it's a lie.  The BBC only tells lies...that's what they dooooo. Now it's highly unlikely that all the 25 or so people standing on one side would capsize the vessel. This was a very heavy vessel and whale watching does mean that people will necessarily gravitate to one side or the other. The biggest 'tell' or giveaway that it's a lie is that no eye-witnesses or passengers were directly quoted in the story. Surely there must be one passenger willing to identify him or herself and tell what happened. Why does the report not contain one direct, eyewitness account of what happened on that boat? Ask yourself that simple question.

Whale-watching boat MV Leviathan II

On Sunday, October 25, 2015 there was a tragedy in the water off Canada's Pacific Coast near the small seaside town of Tofino, BC. A whale-watching boat, the MV Leviathan II, apparently capsized, killing five whale-watching tourists from the UK. There's one passenger still missing. The rest of the 21 passengers and crew were rescued by the First Nations rescue personnel operating out of Tofino...assisted by other volunteers from the community.

First reports from the CBC say the Boat "crashed".  This would lead one to believe that the boat hit a rock..."crashed" implies a collision of some kind.  There are plenty of dangerous undersea rocks in the area...and generally throughout the coastal waters...so this is a distinct possibility.  On two occasions over 30+ years of sailing in these waters, my partner and I have "crashed" (i.e., scraped the bottom of our sailboat) on undersea rocks that we hit due to low tides.  Even if you just "graze" the rocks, it is a terrifying experience.  You're sailing along, then suddenly your boat comes to a screeching halt...there is a terrible grinding noise and you rush below to see what, if any damage has been caused.  In our case...practically nothing...just a few scratches on the hull we had to cover up with paint when we hauled the boat out in the Spring.

In the case of the Leviathan II:

"...It appears the incident happened so quickly the crew didn't have an opportunity to send out a mayday."

"...Poisson said the investigators will examine the circumstances surrounding the crash, including the equipment, meteorological conditions and the company's operational policies...."

Here are some subsequent CBC reports of the sinking...that say the boat "capsized".  Capsizing is a totally different ball of wax than "crashing" and then sinking.  Capsizing indicates that something caused the boat to keel over...i.e., flip over.  It alludes to a large wave or perhaps some malfunction or leak in one side of the hull of the boat....this boat was a very heavy boat and was not overloaded at the time.

So...What caused the boat to sink?

Here's the latest from the CBC:

 "...a local man who used to operate a boat for Jamie's Whaling Station, the company that owns the MV Leviathan II, told CBC News that the Plover Reef area off Vargas Island, where the accident occurred, is tricky to navigate.
"You have the ocean currents running by the coast here, and the tides running out," said Tla-o-qui-aht First Nation member Joe Martin.
"Also the tide from the inlet is running out, and it all kind of meets up in that place and it makes it really rough."
A shallow reef and sharp rocks in the area are also navigational hazards.Local fishing guide Shawn Heise was out in his boat Sunday afternoon, and attended the scene of the accident after hearing of the distress call. He said the swell was about two metres high, and shouldn't have been a problem for a boat the size of the Leviathan II.
He also said the Leviathan II had navigated the waters around Plover Reef "tons of times."
"There's a lot of rocks in the area, but there's [deep] areas that you can go in-between rocks and view sea lions," Heise told CBC News. "But of course you've gotta keep an eye on things because there's swell.
"Occasionally a weird set of waves can come ... you always gotta be careful not to get broadside to them, to keep your bow into the waves as much as possible."

The reports say that the investigation will not be completed for several months.  This is the part I don't get.  Why should it take "several months"?  Surely there are witnesses who know exactly what happened.  This delay makes me think about another "crash" and another long drawn out investigation of a vessel in Pacific waters.  The infamous "Queen of the North" incident...which, to this day, I believe was the subject of a cover-up.

Here is a photo that I believe was taken of the Hull of the "Queen of the North" after it was raised from the Pacific coast ocean floor where it suddenly, without warning, sunk:

Queen of the North - Hole in Hull

I had my suspicions about that accident from the beginning and therefore closely followed the investigation...which took literally years to complete. It finally came out and said that the First Officer, who was piloting the ferry and a female crew member were romantically involved and consequently not paying due care and attention to steering the boat through dangerous rocky waters. The Queen of the North hit a submerged rock which was unusually situated--but then mysteriously sunk--right in the middle of the channel. Here is a quote from the Captain, who was asleep in his cabin at the time of the collision:
"...The situation was complicated by the fact that Henthorne did not immediately realize that the ship was not aground, but adrift in deep water. According to the former captain, usually when a ship goes aground, it stays aground, but in this case, the Queen of the North had run over a reef, ripped the bottom out of the ship and slipped back out into deep water. ..."(?)

Well, this could have indeed been the cause....but why the singular, perfectly round hole in the hull? All the evidence is so murky now that I'm not even sure the above photo is from the ferry...although it looks like the photo I saw shortly after the boat was raised...and the caption on the photo does say "BC Ferries..."

What I'm suggesting is that the Pacific North West, in addition to having dangerous rocks lying just below the surface, especially at low tide, is also a busy international passenger, mercantile and military navigation corridor. There's a Canadian/US naval base not far away and there are frequent naval drills going on in the waters (including the practice firing of depleted uranium-tipped torpedos).  Could the Leviathan II "crash" been a collision with a submarine?  Could the "Queen of the North" have been hit by a torpedo...as I once suspected?

Hush!  You're not even supposed to ASK those questions!

No comments: