Thursday, June 22, 2017

Walking Stick - My Latest Wood Carving

Carved "Viking Prow" Walking Stick
by Greencrow

Hi Folks...here is a video showing the latest carving by Greencrow.  It's a walking stick I plan to use to walk to the top of a local mountain along a popular trail called the "Coquitlam Crunch".  I hope I don't scare the other hikers with this menacing stick!  The top with the Viking design is carved from basswood. I got the design off the Internet.  It's the prow of an ancient Viking Ship.  The bottom (staff) is an old broom handle that I whittled into shape.  I epoxy glued a piece of copper piping at the bottom.  I also put a band made from a thin sheet of copper foil around the base of the head.

The walking stick is about 3 3/4 feet.  The top is 11 inches tall and 3 1/3 inches at the widest part.  I stained it with a mixture of paint thinner and oil paint and then put 2 coats of satin veneer on it.  The eyes are green glass beads glued into the wooden sockets

I am going to add this to my collection of Arts and Crafts on my Special Page that you can access through the link at the top of the main page. Enjoy!

No comments: