Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Finally Setting Sail and bbl......

Finally Setting Sail

We're all packed and ready to set sail tomorrow.  Our annual sail to the Gulf Islands in the Strait of Georgia between here and Vancouver Island has been delayed almost a month due to engine problems.

I'm ready for a vacation and getting away from it all....although we do take our three small dogs with us : )  They're actually very good sailors.  Dogs love small places and being close with their "pack".  I'm also taking some art and craft supplies along and hope to do some sketching and making a few small things for a "Christmas Fair" in December.

The photo above is not of our boat.  It is actually a photo of my partner's boat which he and two friends built from scratch back in the 70's.  The boat was called the "Natural Hy".  It was a farro cement 36 ft. sailboat.  My partner and his two friends sailed the "Natural Hy" to Australia and back between 1974 - 1976.  The above photo was taken off the coast of New Zealand.  One of my partners' sailing buddies is writing an epic story of the building, sailing and demise of the "Natural Hy".  "Natural Hy" was de-commissioned, stripped and ground into powder earlier this year after having her wooden mast split under heavy winds as the couple were sailing in Georgia Strait.  Having a mast split under heavy winds was a fitting way for her to go as she had a number of close calls, including a 19 day storm in the south Pacific where at one point she was completely submerged by a "rogue wave".  My partner was on deck at the time. His two sailing buddies didn't expect to see him again when they opened the hatch. But there he was....still on the deck, calmly bailing water out of the dingy.  He looked at them and said in a classic understatement: "It's [the wave] gone."

I'm helping my partner's sailing buddy editing his sea shanty and might work on the editing while I'm away.  I need a break from all this geopolitical crap.  Don't get me wrong.  I'll still be following all the ins and outs of the various stories and developing some ideas for when I return.  I might even post something if there's a "Breaking News" type event. 

But sailing in the Gulf Islands is always a "zone out" experience.  Within a few hours, you leave all your cares literally in your "wake" and start living in the present...soaking in the slower pace and enjoying the "Natural Hy" you get from the sea, sky and island living.

bbl......

Sailing

6 comments:

Penny said...

have a nice time GC!!

james@wpc said...

That's a great song, Greencrow. Half your luck! Enjoy :)

Geraldine Batt said...

Enjoy another holiday gc.

Northerntruthseeker said...

Have a safe trip... And do not worry for during your absence both Penny and I will keep plugging away on the minds of Canadians....

Fred said...

OMG wooden mast splintering, I have heard horror stories of such an event, it seems they can send nice large arrow size splinters flying in all directions. I raced all sizes of sailboats on the great lakes for years but haven't been on one in a decade. It seems you are going to go and do something I have rarely ever done before which is just go and sail to have fun. Have a nice trip.

greencrow said...

Penny and NTS:

I know you will both, as Penny said...."Hold the Fort" while the third Canadian blogging musketeer is away. James...yes the song "sailing" by Christopher Cross" is emblematic of the 70's heyday of boomer sailing. Geraldine Batt...yes I will enjoy yet another holiday from my highly paid blogger job lol.

Fred: The loss of Natural Hy was like the loss of a dear friend to those who knew and sailed on her. I sailed on her on my first sailing weekend with my husband to be back in 1977. She was steady as a rock in the water and could achieve very good speeds considering her cement hull. It is one of the most terrifying things to happen on a sailboat...to have the mast break. Luckily no one was harmed...but the "Natural Hy" was a write off...and they had just put a lot of money into a new engine, etc., etc.