Thursday, June 9, 2016

Notice - Arts and Crafts Page has been updated with two new wood carvings

Artwork #18 - June 9, 2016 'Greenman Traditional Wood Spirit' 



Traditional "Green Man" or Wood Spirit
carved from Basswood.
He's 9" long x 8" wide x 2" thick

"Greenman", a type of "wood spirit", is a popular traditional subject for wood carvers.  They can be made out of wood, iron or ceramic and are generally painted green.  I added a few drops of green oil paint to my "golden oak" oil wood stain and used that, with satisfactory results.  I deliberately made my greenman with crossed eyes...because I plan to hang him high up on the wall of my deck and  didn't want him staring at me all the time...he's supposed to be looking down from a higher location and staring into space.

You can access my Arts and Crafts page by clicking on the Greencrow Creative Resources link at the top of this Blog.

No comments: