Friday, April 10, 2015

10 best Children's Books-greencrow's list


The Castle of Grumpy Grouch

The BBC recently came out with a list of the 11 greatest children's books.  Reading down the list...there was only one book (Alice in Wonderland) that I would put on such a list. I'm just grateful that none of the "Harry Potter" books made the list.  From the little I know of that series...it is a "product placement" lollapalooza for the illuminati...I could be wrong, as I've never cracked any of the Potter books.  And I detest that "Charlie Chocolate Factory" book/movie!

Here's an alternate list of the books I would recommend.  I will encourage my grandchild to read them.  They are listed in the order that she should read them (degree of reading/comprehension)...not in order of "greatness". I will add a brief comment why the book made greencrow's list:


This book is like a verbal lullabye...softly encouraging quiet reflection and (hopefully) sleep.  It teaches the child to look closer at things and to notice subtle changes.


These books combine high comedy with fundamental lessons in life.  Dr. Seuss was a psychiatrist and his books deal with positive (and negative) interactions....i.e., what can happen if you don't "watch out".


Another Dr. Seuss classic and one of my favourite stories when I was a child. I loved the way the hats got more and more elaborate the higher they climbed in the castle.  Lots of subtle lessons and lots of laughs.


So many iconic stories that will stay with a child for a lifetime, eg.,  The Ugly Duckling.


"Rapunzel, Rapunzel...Let down your hair!'  Enough said!


These stories introduce children to the moral and cultural icons that will become necessary for social literacy. 

7.  Alice in Wonderland

Children need to read the actual book and see the original illustrations in order to get the full benefit of this literary masterpiece.

8.  Peter Pan

Again...it's important for children to read the original and not just see the Disney movie.  If for no other reason to help them to compare the two mediums and judge for themselves what happens to a literary masterpiece when it is rendered into a "movie".

9.  The Castle of Grumpy Grouch

You won't find this book on any other list of best children's books...but it was one of the two top (see below for my other favourite) books I ever read as a child.  It's kind of like "The Wizard of Oz"...only better.

10.  Moonfleet

This was by far the best book I ever read as a child.  Once I started reading it...I could not put it down.  It developed in me a love of reading--because I wanted to re-create the sensation (of not being able to put a book down) again and again.

No comments: