Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Make your own good news!

Now, more than ever before, each one of us is responsible for making our own good news.

I made my own good news this past Labour Day (September 2, 2013) when my purebred Papillon dog, "Daisy", successfully gave birth to four puppies.  Three males and one female.  Two of the males took after their sire, purebred Papillon, "Max", and are white with black markings.  The other male and the female took after Daisy, and are white with sable and black markings.  Daisy is an excellent mother...from the instant the first pup was born, she was on the case, cleaning and checking, cleaning and checking.

The next day, yesterday (September 3, 2013) Daisy had a meltdown.  She "lost it" and walked away from the babies...the reason for this was that my two adult males, father Max and "Uncle Joe" (neutered 6 year old maltipoo) were allowed to remain in the solarium and were paying too much attention and harassing her.  Daisy told me:  "That's it!  I want them both out of the solarium for the duration!  I refuse to tend to the babies unless you get them out of here and keep them out of here!"  Well, her message was definitely heard... now babies and mom are resting in isolated splendor in the solarium.  "The boys", Max and Joey, are relegated to the deck outside, much to their chagrin.

Here are the first pics of the litter:


 
Pup #1 is born

 
Pup #1, Male, White with Black Markings - I call him "Whiner" because he was whining from  the moment he came out and ever since!
 
 
Pup #2, Male, White with Black markings- I call him "Pi" because he looks like he's been pied in the face.
 
 
 
Pup #3, "Daisy's Girl" - White with Sable and Black markings - a Vision of her mom!
 
 
Pup #4, "The Runt"  Male, White with Sable and Black markings - the last and smallest of the brood
 
 
All Done!  Daisy and her brood, "Labour Day" September 2, 2013
 
I have a far greater appreciation for dog breeders now that I have supported Daisy through her whelping experience.  I was at her side for five hours straight, without eating and just bathroom breaks.  She would become distressed if I left the room.  Her pups were born one hour apart and it took an hour after the last to settle with them.  Daisy was exhausted and I offered her water at several points... as I was worried about dehydration.   Other than that, my main job, other than moral support, was keeping her long, heavy tail fur out of the way so she could lick her pups.
 
Coincidentally, over the weekend, some kind soul or souls dropped off 37+ unwanted small dogs at the Richmond, BC (suburb of Vancouver) SPCA.  No one knows where these dogs came from.  My suspicion is they came from the US, where perhaps the economy is such that people can't keep dogs after they've acquired them.   No one is saying how old the dogs are and whether they've been neutered or not.  If they've been neutered, it wasn't a puppy mill that abandoned them.
 
Wherever they came from, there won't be too much problem having the abandoned dogs adopted out.  There is such a demand for small dogs the SPCA rarely has them for adoption.  I have adopted dogs (and cats) from the SPCA in the past and usually there are only big (and nasty) dogs up for adoption.  My big dog "Surge" (purebred Jindo) was part of our family for 12 years while my children were growing up and we still miss him.  The people at the SPCA said they found him (a three month old pup) abandoned at the Kootenay (Bus) Loop off Hastings St. in Burnaby.  Whenever I drive by the Kootenay Loop I think fondly of our beautiful big dog Surge.  But I would never get another big dog.  Big dogs are for families with young growing children... who have the time and energy that it takes to keep a big dog.  My small, intelligent and very social Papillon dogs will go to families where space, time and energy are factors. 
 
The families who adopt my dogs will have the unique advantage of "meeting the parents"...getting a history, profile and information about the genetic heritage of their dog.  They will see and have copies of the parents' pedigrees.  Most of all, I will be looking for families who are ready, able and willing to take on the considerable responsibility of caring for a puppy who will be treated as a child in their family.  They will know that dog ownership has it's ups and downs.  They will understand and appreciate that adopting a puppy is a 15+ year commitment to another living being.
 
Congratulations, Daisy and Max!
 
gc

No comments: